Solicitors in Barnsley
We’re your friendly local law firm!
Our solicitors in Barnsley help people and businesses sort out all kinds of legal issue. So, whether you are making your next house move, you are having a problem at work, you need advice about running your business, or anything else, we are on hand to help.
Our Barnsley office is conveniently based on Regent Street in the centre of town, just a few minutes’ walk from Barnsley railway station and the bus station, so you can easily reach us by car, public transport or on foot.
31 Regent Street
Tel: 01226 212345
Fax: 01226 215275
DX: 12255 Barnsley
Mon: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Tues: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Weds: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Thurs: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Fri: 9:00am - 5:00pm
How to find us
Reaching us by car
There is some on-street pay-and-display parking on Regent Street where our office is based. Or there are a number of council car parks nearby – visit the Barnsley Council website for more information.
Reaching us by train
We are just a 6-minute walk from Barnsley railway station.
Reaching us by bus
We are just a 2-minute walk from Barnsley bus station so can be easily reached from all over Barnsley and the wider South Yorkshire area.
Making our services accessible to everyone
Everyone should be able to access legal advice when they need it. So, we are dedicated to making our services as easy to access as possible, irrespective of your unique needs.
If you have any particular needs, please get in touch for a friendly, confidential discussion with a member of our team.
Our services for you
Whether you are a first time buyer, sizing up to suit your expanding family, or sizing down for retirement, moving house is an exciting time. However, we know it can also be quite stressful.
It would be great if you could just snap your fingers and have all the boring legal details sorted out in a second. Well, we’re not magicians, but our Barnsley conveyancing solicitors are skilled at making the moving process simple and straight forward as possible for our clients.
We can offer a fast, efficient residential property service to fulfil all your needs, including:
- Buying and selling freehold and leasehold property
- Specialist first time buyer advice, including help to buy
- Buy to let conveyancing
- Landlord & tenant advice, including tenancy agreements
- Buying and selling at auction
- Leasehold licences
- Restrictive covenants
- Registration or correction of title
- Amanah/Islamic/Shariah compliant finance
- Property trust Wills
- Freehold reversions
The death of a loved one is one of the hardest experiences you can go through, but the process of sorting out their final affairs doesn’t need to be a stressful as you might think.
Our Probate solicitors in Barnsley are here to support you through this difficult time. We can handle as much or as little of the estate administration work as you need, including:
- Obtaining the Grant of Representation (Grant of Probate if there is a Will or Grant of Letters of Administration if there is no Will).
- Handling the estate administration process, such as contacting organisations, paying off debts, selling property, distributing inheritance and handling Inheritance Tax.
- Advice about intestacy if the deceased person did not leave a Will.
Did you know that if you pass away without leaving a Will you have no control over who inherits? You might assume that your partner or children will inherit everything, but depending on the circumstances this may not actually be the case.
The only way you can make sure that your money and property goes to the people you love most after you die is to make a Will.
Our friendly Barnsley Will solicitors advise on Wills and lifetime planning matters, including:
- Single and mirror Wills
- Property protection Wills
- Business Owners Wills
- Lifetime trusts
- Long-term care issues
- Resolving estate matters after death
- Trust creation and management service
We can also securely store your Will for free.
Most people know how important it is to make a Will, but what about protecting your interests during your lifetime? It’s a scary thought, but we can’t control the future and there’s always a possibility of needing extra support due to an illness or injury later on.
A Power of Attorney allows the people you trust most in your life to take care of your finances and your health and welfare should you lose your mental capacity and cannot manage your own decisions in the future.
Our Power of Attorney solicitors in Barnsley can help you plan for every possibility, and draft your bespoke power of attorney on your behalf.
In the absence of a Power of Attorney or necessary legal authorisation, we also assist people with Court of Protection applications.
There can be no understating the impact a personal injury can have on your life. In many cases, the physical challenges of recovery are just the beginning of the problem. You may be unable to work and you may no longer be able to take part in activities you once enjoyed. We know just how much strain this can have on your mental health and personal relationships.
Our Barnsley personal injury solicitors are here to help you put the pieces back together. We can provide clear, experienced legal advice about making a personal injury compensation claim to help you restore your quality of life and make up for any financial loss.
Our experience includes providing close personal support for personal injury claims related to:
- Road traffic accidents (including pedestrian, cyclist, motorbike and passenger accidents)
- Accidents or illness abroad (including holiday accidents and food poisoning)
- Accidents at work
- Medical negligence
- Accidents in public places (such as slips, trips and falls)
- Serious injury and fatalities
We can also use our experience and contacts to help you access appropriate support services as quickly as possible.
A job is often more than just your livelihood. It can be your career, possibly even your passion in life. Or it may just be a useful way to pay the bills – and that is important too!
Whatever your job means to you, when things go wrong at work it can feel very demoralising and stressful.
Our employment law solicitors in Barnsley can help you with a wide range of workplace problems with your employer or former employer, including:
- Grievances, disciplinary issues
- Unfair dismissal
- Maternity and paternity rights
- Working time and pay
- Bullying and harassment
- Employment contracts
- Redundancy, transfer agreements and transfer of undertakings
- Employment tribunal claims
If you feel like your debts are getting out of control, you have come to the right place for advice and support. Our insolvency solicitors in Barnsley can provide the support you need to get through this time and put your life back on track. We can help you with:
- Re-organising your finances
- Negotiating with creditors
- Individual Voluntary Arrangements
- Advising on what bankruptcy means for partners and children
- Petitioning for bankruptcy and support afterwards
Going through UK immigration processes can be daunting. There are lots of long technical forms involved that even native English speakers would struggle with. We can help you with a wide range of immigration and visa matters, including:
- Visas and appeals for husbands/wives, fiancés, dependent relatives, students and visitors
- Home Office travel documents
- Certification of documents
- Sponsorship and declarations
Our Barnsley immigration solicitors are some of the most experienced immigration specialists in the country. Our multi-lingual team can speak to you in:
Our services for businesses
Our commercial lawyers have a passion for helping entrepreneurs and new business owners succeed in business. Our commercially-savvy team can provide all the support you need to help your business start-up thrive.
Our business start-up lawyers in Barnsley can help you with:
- Deciding the best business structure for you
- Registering the new company
- Shareholder and partnership agreements
- Dealing with franchise agreements
- Personal guarantees
- Joint ventures with third parties
- Employment contracts
- Leases for new premises
We’re also the proud founders of the Wosskow Brown Foundation, a charitable organisation devoted to helping businesses grow and scale. To date, we’ve helped over 900 businesses forge connections, access finance, plan for the future and more.
It is always important to treat employees fairly, but we know that employment law can be tricky to get right even when you have the best intentions.
Our Barnsley employment lawyers can help your business fill your responsibilities as an employer, from drafting your employment contracts and implementing the right framework for dealing with your employees, to resolving contentious disputes about discrimination, pay or any other issue. Our expertise includes:
- Contracts of employment
- Terminating contracts of employment
- Disciplinary procedures
- Employment tribunal procedure
- Defending an unfair dismissal claim
- Maternity and paternity rights
- Allegations of sex/age/racial/other discrimination
- Equal pay
- Bullying and harassment
- Health and safety
- Transfer of undertakings
- Advice on redundancy and compromise agreements
Your commercial property interests are likely to be highly valuable, so getting the right legal advice is critical. Our specialist team of commercial property solicitors in Barnsley can provide bespoke, business-minded advice about a wide range of matters, including:
- Commercial leases
- Commercial landlord & tenant law
- Acquisitions and disposals of freehold and leasehold commercial property
- Commercial mortgages and secured lending facilities
- Plot sales and property development
- Overage clawback agreements
- Option agreements and conditional contacts
- Shared ownership of freehold and leasehold property
- Any other complex or novel commercial or residential conveyancing transaction requiring specialist advice
Businesses encounter challenges at every stage of their life. Putting in place strong foundations and getting the right advice as early as possible is the key to success. Our corporate and commercial solicitors in Barnsley can be by your side from the inception of your business, through its day-to-day management, to its disposal. Our expertise includes:
- Company formation
- Shareholder agreements
- Partnership agreements
- Company law matters and directors’ duties
- Banking & finance documentation and guarantees
- Drafting and reviewing commercial contracts
Unpaid debts can cause serious disruption to your business’s cash flow. If you feel like you have done everything possible to engage with a debtor but they still will not repay, we can provide a fierce debt recovery service.
Our Barnsley debt recovery solicitors can offer a bespoke approach to business debt recovery. We will take proactive steps to negotiate settlements with debtors to maximise your recovery while minimising costs.
Our service includes:
- Pre-action debt collection
- Debt settlement negotiations
- Court money claims
- Debt enforcement action (e.g. instructing bailiffs and securing debts over property)
If your business is struggling, taking early action can mean the difference between survival and insolvency.
Expert business rescue and restructuring solicitors in Barnsley take a pragmatic, strategic approach, helping businesses conquer challenges that may seem insurmountable at first. Our expertise includes:
- Sole trader, partnership & company restructuring
- Time to pay arrangements
- Individual & Company Voluntary Arrangements (IVAs and CVAs)
- Schemes of arrangements
- Administration and receivership
- County Court Judgment (CCJ) help & advice
- Voluntary liquidation
- Winding-up Petitions & Compulsory liquidation
- Personal guarantees
- Directors’ disqualification
Friendly and Pleasant Staff
Excellent quality of service
Friendly, Professional & Really Listened
A polite and caring service all the way through, from receptionist to solicitor
Mr & Mrs Williams
Attention to detail
Ms Wadsworth & Mr Wragg
Easy to understand
Friendly and Clear
Approachable and Knowledgeable
Mr & Mrs Lindley
Treated Me Absolutely Superbly
My first port of call for all legal work
Could not have had nicer people dealing with my case
Would be Happy to Recommend
Excellent service throughout, friendly and professional
Friendly, Competent and Totally Professional
Mr & Mrs Greensides
Very Welcoming Reception Staff
Patience and Understanding
Friendly & Approachable
Mr & Mrs Sagar
Everything went smoothly
Mr & Mrs Horsfield
First Class as Always
Mr & Mrs Swift
Excellent and very informative
Friendly, Efficient & Clear
Excellent Company and Staff