Estate & Probate
We can help you through this difficult process by obtaining the Grant of Probate on your behalf based on a fixed legal fee. The fees are payable in most cases out of the assets of the estate.
The information about the costs is for estates where:
- There is a valid will
- There are no more than bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are no more than five legacies or specific gifts or more than five residuary beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- The deceased made lifetime gifts exceeding the annual allowance of £3,000.00 within the past 15 years
- There are no claims made against the estate and the estate does not include:
- A business, farms, farmhouses or farmland, an interest in another estate, loans or mortgages payable to the deceased, foreign assets, assets held in trust, national heritage assets or unlisted stocks and shares and control holdings
Legal Fees and Disbursements
Disbursements are costs relating to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees.
Applying for the grant, collecting and distributing the assets:
This work can be undertaken on the basis of a fixed fee. The range of fixed fees we charge fall as follows:
Estate not exceeding £150,000
1.8% of the gross estate value subject to a minimum fee of £750.00 + VAT.
For example, an estate valued at £125,000 our legal fees would be £2250 + VAT.
Estate not exceeding £325,000
1.9% of the gross estate + VAT.
For example, an estate valued at £300,000 our legal fees would be £5700 + VAT.
Estate not exceeding £650,000
2.0% of the gross estate + VAT.
For example, an estate valued at £500,000 our legal fees would be £10,000 + VAT.
Estate exceeding £650,000
Subject to negotiation.
When you instruct us we will send a letter to you setting out the basis upon which we will charge our fees.
- Probate application fee - £155.00
- Swearing of the oath - £7.00 per executor
- Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches - £2.00 per beneficiary
- Post in The London Gazette - this is recommended as a means of protecting against claims against the estate - £69.50 + VAT
- Post in a Local Newspaper - This helps protect against claims against the estate and vary between newspapers but can cost between £200 and £500.
What services does this fee include?
The following steps are included:
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries and establish the extent of the estate by identifying the various assets and liabilities
- Prepare the Grant of Probate and have it sworn by the executor(s) and submitted to the appropriate Probate Registry together with the Will, if there is one
- Once the Grant is received from the Probate Registry it is submitted to the various organisations with whom assets are held in order to start the process of transferring the assets into the beneficiaries’ names;
- All estate liabilities have to be paid before the estate can be distributed among the beneficiaries;
- Confirming that tax is paid up to date and there are no outstanding HMRC claims;
- Preparation of the Estate accounts and distribution of the estate in accordance with the terms of the Will.
Potential additional costs include:
- If there is no will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will also be charged at 50p.
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 3 to 9 months.
Make an enquiry
Wonderful, Chatty and Helpful Staff
Mr & Mrs Jones
Excellent service throughout, friendly and professional
Impressive All-Round Service
Mr & Mrs Wragg
A Country Mile
Friendly and Professional
Friendly, Courteous and Understanding
Clear & Understandable Explanation
Mr & Mrs Ellis
Friendly, Efficient & Clear
Helpful and Friendly
Kind and helpful
Excellent quality of service
Excellent customer service, would recommend without hesitation
Easy to understand
Mr & Mrs Lindley
A polite and caring service all the way through, from receptionist to solicitor
Mr & Mrs Williams
Everything went smoothly
Mr & Mrs Horsfield
Working with a smile
Friendly & Approachable
Made a Difficult Task Easy
Would be Happy to Recommend
Friendly and Clear
Polite and respectful
Incredibly Helpful and Understanding
Approachable, Friendly & Professional
Clear, Friendly, Efficient Advise
Mrs Dyett & Mr Howard
Friendly, Professional & Really Listened
Understanding, Helpful & Efficient
Friendly, Competent and Totally Professional
Mr & Mrs Greensides
Excellent Service Throughout
Excellent Company and Staff
Efficient and clear
Pleasant and Professional Staff
I was Listened to Carefully
Excellent and very informative
Kind and Understanding
Friendly and Pleasant Staff
Very friendly, but still professional
Ms Walker & Mr Birchall
First Class as Always
Mr & Mrs Swift
Clear, Professional, Friendly Service
Mr & Mrs Spencer
Making my Will was made so easy
Approachable and Knowledgeable
Patience and Understanding